Magna On-Demand Seminars
Using Humor and Levity to Enhance the Online Learning Environment
For faculty teaching online having trouble engaging students and missing the interaction of face-to-face teaching, this Magna Online Seminar shows you how humor can make your teaching and learning more engaging and enjoyable.
Faculty are always searching for a way to make their courses more engaging, especially in an online setting. How do you go beyond the typical restrictions of a largely text and video-based form of teaching to create more authentic interaction? Humor!
This Magna Online Seminar identifies areas where you can inject humor, levity, and creativity to promote engagement—and yes—some levels of enjoyment in your class.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the problems and roadblocks in engagement in the online environment
- Create better and more appealing course materials like syllabi and learning assessment tools
- Understand how and where levity and humor are tools to foster engagement
Who should attend?
- Faculty teaching online
- Educational Developers
Why you don’t want to miss this!
One of the difficulties of the online environment is the austerity of the modes of communication within various learning management systems. Announcements, prompts, syllabi, and discussion boards are all heavily reliant on text to relay messages. Students then typically enter into the tl;dr (too long; didn’t read) response.
Given the lack of face-to-face communication and the richness of that mode, where teachers can distill important information from some that’s less so, students and teachers can often feel disconnected. Add to this the difficulty of the often-asynchronous ways students interact with materials and disengagement is easy to have. Without the instructor’s physical presence and the bevy of cues we give through channels beyond our words, students often feel lost.
This Magna Online Seminar demonstrates the basics of creating a more engaging online presence relying primarily on finding ways to add humor into your digital presence. From the importance of syllabi that are visually appealing and incorporate humor, to the use of humor-based assessment tools, gain an increased knowledge and ability to use humor in your digital interactions and create a more engaged online environment that students find more conducive to learning.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: QC21EA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- More Information
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart