Students in online courses and degree programs sometimes report that studying online can leave them feeling isolated and unconnected to their instructor and student peers.
However, this doesn’t have to be the case. Online instructors can utilize a variety of strategies to build and maintain a sense of community in their online courses and doing so will result in a better course experience for both student and instructor.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the benefits of building community in online courses
- Describe a variety of strategies online instructors can utilize to build community in their courses
- Initiate a conversation with appropriate stakeholders on their campus about how to better build community in online courses
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- Benefits of building community in online courses
- Instructor as role model
- Creating a safe course environment
- Letting students get to know each other
- Surveying student interests and using that to make connections
- Using peer review and feedback
- Creating social opportunities for students to interact with each other
- Using video conferencing and other technologies to promote community
- Having students work in small groups
- Building in multiple avenues for interaction and engagement in a course
- Letting students know building community is something the instructors in interested in and promoting
Who should attend?
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Designers
- Instructional Technologists
- eLearning Specialists
- Program Directors
- Directors of Teaching & Learning Centers
- Department Chairs
- College Deans
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC19QA