Magna On-Demand Seminars
Engage and Empower Students by Using Wikipedia
This Magna Online Seminar offers a glimpse into how Wikipedia can empower students to share their knowledge with the world around them. Through real-life strategies and helpful background information, this seminar shows you how to use a tool you already understand in a new way to increase student engagement, boost critical thinking, and improve information literacy.
Wikipedia is consistently one of the five most-visited websites in the world.
However, users of the site typically limit their interaction to uncritical consumption of the information located there.
Let’s take a more critical approach!
Wikipedia-based assignments offer a diverse and powerful opportunity for students to go beyond consumption and engage in a novel exploration of critical thinking, research, and writing.
By writing and editing articles for Wikipedia, students can share their knowledge with the world, resulting in robust learning experiences that engage, empower, and excite them. Experience a guided tour through the inner workings of Wikipedia with an experienced Wikipedia Campus Ambassador and evaluate its value as a legitimate learning platform for your own classes.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Evaluate Wikipedia as an opportunity for authentic learning
- Uncover the open secrets behind how Wikipedia articles are created
- Compare Wikipedia writing and editing to traditional academic assignments
- Explain Wikipedia’s Five Pillars
- Explore Wikipedia features, including Talk pages, the History tab, and Sandbox
- Identify key components of a successful Wikipedia-based assignment
- Understand how to use Wikipedia in the classroom to improve critical thinking, research, and writing skills
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- The Wikipedia community
- The basics of editing Wikipedia
- Wikipedia-based assignments
- Navigating complex and contentious media landscapes
- Critical thinking and media literacy
Who should attend?
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Technologists
- Instructional Designers
Why you don’t want to miss this!
This seminar offers a glimpse into how Wikipedia can empower students to share their knowledge with the world around them. Through real-life strategies and helpful background information, this seminar shows you how to use a tool you already understand in a new way to increase student engagement, boost critical thinking, and improve information literacy.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC18TA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart