Magna On-Demand Seminars
Faculty Evaluation and Review: Guidelines for Getting it Right
Discrimination, litigation, and accusations—faculty evaluations can have negative consequences when conducted incorrectly. For deans and department chairs, developing a good faculty evaluation process is crucial to the health of the department and college as a whole. Take steps to ensure you get it right, because well-conducted evaluations don’t just avoid problems—they inspire individual faculty and elevate entire departments.
How to Stop Fears of Reviews Gone Wrong
Discrimination, litigation, and accusations—faculty evaluations can have negative consequences when conducted incorrectly. For deans and department chairs, developing a good faculty evaluation process is crucial to the health of the department and college as a whole.
If you view faculty evaluations and tenure reviews as nothing more than an administrative duty, you could be missing a huge opportunity for positive results in your department or college.
Learning tried-and-true practices for performance reviews can do more than streamline a potentially uncomfortable situation. It can boost the performance of your entire faculty.
Gain tools you can use in Faculty Evaluation and Review: Guidelines for Getting it Right. This one-hour seminar is designed to deliver strategies for implementing better evaluation practices. Once you re-envision faculty reviews as part of career-long professional development, you will have tools you can use.
Using common sense evaluation strategies can help you revitalize faculty careers. With knowledge of sound evaluation practices, you will be able to use the process for building a positive departmental culture.
Faculty Evaluation and Review: Guidelines for Getting it Right provides you with an enhanced understanding of how to craft appropriate feedback to faculty, whether they are tenure-track, tenured, or part-time instructors. After watching, participants will be able to:
- Review their new faculty start-up and mentoring practices for effectiveness
- Distinguish between faculty observation and faculty evaluation
- Construct a faculty evaluation letter
- Recognize the importance of using policy language in the review process
- Understand the importance and effectiveness of writing less-than-positive reviews
This seminar will address some practical strategies for conducting effective evaluations and embed those strategies into the concept of the academic life cycle. By watching this seminar you will:
- Learn to distinguish between course evaluation, teaching observations, and faculty evaluation
- Gain guidance for using policy and contractual language in writing the evaluation
- Learn to view faculty observation as part of career-long professional development, not just up or out at tenure
- Understand the academic life cycle
- Get tips for using checklists as performance review aids
If your school wants annual evaluations to be more than just a pro forma exercise or an unpleasant administrative duty, Faculty Evaluation and Review: Guidelines for Getting it Right has what you need.
It will be especially valuable for four-year, public, or private institutions (both unionized and non-unionized environments) where faculty and department chairs engage in evaluating or observing other faculty for retention, tenure, and promotion. These skills will also help administrators at two-year colleges that employ annual or biannual faculty evaluations
We suggest the following individuals watch this presentation:
- Department chairs
- Personnel committee members
- Directors of faculty professional development centers
- Faculty members who evaluate professional staff (e.g., lab directors, studio directors)
Order today, and turn your evaluation process into a platform for individual and departmental advancement.
Product Code: OC13AA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart