Incorporating graphic novels into a college course can help faculty members achieve practical learning outcomes via differentiated instruction; support diverse student populations such as students of color and LGBTQ+ students; and provide students with practical skills such as visual literacy.
This seminar will present the many benefits of using a graphic novel in the classroom, including how graphic novels and unconventional texts can foster a more engaged classroom environment. Additionally, gain insights into the variety of options that exist for faculty members in a wide variety of disciplines, such as the humanities, visual arts, social sciences, and STEM, to use graphic novels in teaching.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Understand how graphic novels can help achieve positive learning outcomes and increase student engagement in college classrooms
- Identify ways that graphic novels can support diverse student populations through differentiated instruction
- Discuss how graphic novels can provide students with opportunities to learn practical skills such as visual literacy
- Obtain skills to explore possible options in a wide variety of courses, fields, and disciplines
Here’s What We’ll Cover
What is a graphic novel?
- How graphic novels can increase student engagement and offer other practical benefits to students
- How differentiated instruction can achieve practical learning outcomes
- Why graphic novels can benefit diverse and/or marginalized student populations such as students of color and LGBTQ+ students
- What the value of visual literacy is to all students
- How to bring these unconventional texts into your current courses
Who Should Attend
This seminar will benefit:
- Faculty (esp. Humanities, Visual Arts, STEM, Social Science, and Interdisciplinary Programs)
- Curriculum and instruction supervisors and/or directors
- Instructional Designers
- Faculty Development or Instructional/Pedagogical Support Centers
- Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Department chairs
- Academic deans
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19NA