MAGNA ONLINE SEMINARS
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Practical Ways to Support First-Generation College Students in the College Classroom
In this Magna Online Seminar, you will learn about the challenges that exist for first-generation college students and the support structures that can help them succeed.
Over 40% of incoming first-year students at 4-year colleges and universities are first-generation college students. This percentage jumps to 70% for incoming first-year students at 2-year colleges.
As the number of first-generation college students increases, it’s crucial that you create a more accessible and supportive classroom environment at your institution. Retention and student success for these students are key objectives for universities. You’ll get practical strategies to overcome barriers of success that are unique to this student population.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the profile of first-generation college students in the United States
- Identify the challenges the disproportionately affect first-generation college students
- Implement specific strategies to better support first-generation college students in the college classroom
- Develop the necessary skills to identify future resources to continue supporting this student demographic
Who should attend?
- Department Chairs
- Instructional designers
- Retention specialists
- Directors of Diversity and Inclusion
- First-Year Experience Coordinators
Why you don’t want to miss this!
In this seminar, you’ll learn how faculty can better support first-generation college students in the classroom. Topics of discussion include: understanding the challenges that first-generation college students disproportionately face; contextualizing practical ways to support their success in the classroom and beyond; and recognizing resources to continue improving support structures for first-generation college students.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC20BA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
Magna Digital Library Group Subscription
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
Monday Morning Mentor
- Add to cart