At most institutions, faculty participate in some sort of annual review.
A discussion of student evaluations is usually part of these conversations, and they aren’t always easy interactions. Sometimes the issue is the rating results—they aren’t high enough, maybe they dropped in one course, perhaps they have stayed the same for some time, or maybe there is some question about why they’re so high. Sometimes it’s what the academic leader concludes about the teaching based on a few negative student comments, or it could be the action the department chair recommends. And sometimes, it’s the faculty member who doesn’t know what to say or becomes defensive.
This Magna Online Seminar, led by Maryellen Weimer, PhD and Jon Hess, PhD, explores ways to communicate about rating results using three scenarios based on common situations, with the goal of making the exchange a constructive conversation about teaching and learning.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to
- Have a productive conversation with your department chair about declining ratings
- Discuss negative student comments with your administrator
- Respond to an administrator who tends to overreact to negative comments
- Learn to dispel misconceptions about positive student ratings (i.e., you teach an easy course)
- Be specific about those aspects of your courses that you plan to work on in the coming year
Who should attend?
This program is designed for any faculty member (full- or part-time, tenured, or contract), teaching in any department program that has students provide feedback on their experiences and uses that input in assessing a teachers effectiveness.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC18VA