Talking about Student Evaluation Results: What to Say and How to Say It
$297.00 – $497.00
Explore ways to communicate about rating results using three scenarios based on common situations, with the goal of making the exchange a constructive conversation about teaching and learning.
At most institutions, faculty participate in some sort of annual review.
A discussion of student evaluations is usually part of these conversations, and they aren’t always easy interactions. Sometimes the issue is the rating results—they aren’t high enough, maybe they dropped in one course, perhaps they have stayed the same for some time, or maybe there is some question about why they’re so high. Sometimes it’s what the academic leader concludes about the teaching based on a few negative student comments, or it could be the action the department chair recommends. And sometimes, it’s the faculty member who doesn’t know what to say or becomes defensive.
Talking about Student Evaluation Results with Academic Leaders: What to Say and How to Say It, a Magna Online Seminar led by Maryellen Weimer, PhD and Jon Hess, PhD, where we explore ways to communicate about rating results using three scenarios based on common situations, with the goal of making the exchange a constructive conversation about teaching and learning.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to
- Have a productive conversation with your department chair about declining ratings
- Discuss negative student comments with your administrator
- Respond to an administrator who tends to overreact to negative comments
- Learn to dispel misconceptions about positive student ratings (i.e., you teach an easy course)
- Be specific about those aspects of your courses that you plan to work on in the coming year
This program is designed for any faculty member (full- or part-time, tenured, or contract), teaching in any department program that has students provide feedback on their experiences and uses that input in assessing a teachers effectiveness.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- On-demand access for 1-year
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC18VA
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Campus Safety, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Specific Student Populations, Strategic Planning, Student Engagement, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- Magna Online Seminar Pass
- Add to cart