Magna On-Demand Seminars
Tips for Department Chairs on Navigating Academic Departmental Relationships
This Magna Online Seminar is for aspiring, new, and experienced academic chairs who desire a meaningful and productive working relationship with their deans and seek guidance in navigating the bureaucracy and politics of their institutions. You’ll receive insight about how to develop this important relationship to benefit and advance your department.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the dean’s environment
- Further understand the academic bureaucracy in your institution
- Realize your dean’s perspective and agenda
- Develop strategies to increase their dean’s support for the department
Who should attend?
- Department chairs
- Department program heads
- Associate and assistant deans
Why you don’t want to miss this!
While chairs may understand the faculty’s world, typically they are unfamiliar with the dean’s environment. Through this 60-minute online seminar, chairs will gain understanding for their dean, the dean’s political environment, and agenda. As a result, chairs will be better positioned to gain the support of their dean by planning programs and initiatives that advance their departments, as well as their dean’s agenda. Learn strategies and awareness of the institution’s bureaucratic management and how to navigate both to get the support their departments need.
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
The most important person in the chair’s professional universe is the dean. The dean’s office provides access to the resources, data, and guidance necessary for the welfare of academic departments.
What do chairs need to know about deans so that they can maximize the benefits of their relationship? How can the dean navigate the bureaucratic management systems through which many colleges and universities are managed?
Don Chu, both a former chair and dean, provides guidance needed by academic managers to better understand the position of department and college leaders, and how they may work together to further their academic missions.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: OC20JD
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart