Magna On-Demand Seminars
Understanding Open Educational Resources (OER): A Powerful Solution for Both Faculty and Students
In this online seminar, we’ll examine the research on Open Educational Resources (OER) usage in collegiate classes and their impact on student retention and success.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
The cost of textbooks has risen over 1000% since 1971. That’s three times the rate of inflation!
Some students have stopped purchasing required textbooks due to this ever-rising cost. However, there’s a solution that can be found in Open Educational Resources (OER). In this online seminar, we’ll examine the research on OER usage in collegiate classes and their impact on student retention and success.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Describe research that demonstrates OER impact on student success and retention
- Find high quality Open Educational Resources
- Use OER effectively to impact student learning
- Advocate for the use of OER as an alternative to high cost textbooks
Who does this benefit?
- Instructional support
Why you don’t want to miss this!
Open Educational Resources (OER) are high quality teaching and learning materials that have been licensed to be freely reused and remixed. Including textbooks, games, simulations, quizzes, and even full courses, OER offer a cost effective and flexible alternative to costly course materials. You’ll be able to combat the rising cost of textbooks while making a greater impact on student success!
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
This seminar will also discuss how faculty can find OER to use in their classes and outline challenges and opportunities for OER implementation. Additionally, during the presentation, our presenters Oliver Dreon, PhD, a professor of educational foundations and the director of the Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning at Millersville University of Pennsylvania and Greg Szczyrbak, MS, learning technologies librarian and director of the Digital Learning Studio at Millersville University, will review how they helped to shepherd an “open textbook initiative” at their institution to promote more widespread faculty adoption of OER.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact email@example.com for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC20AA
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Active and Engaged Students, Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Classroom Climate, Classroom Management, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty, Faculty Support, Legal Concerns, On-Demand Seminars, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Student Engagement, Personal Development, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Technology in Online Courses, Technology in the Classroom
- Add to cart