Magna On-Demand Seminars
Wake Them Up! Engaging Students in the 21st Century Classroom
Learn strategies to help you achieve performance targets while also restoring student engagement through a variety of practical, actionable teaching techniques.
Students in higher education are suffering from death by PowerPoint and are losing their desire to learn.
That students must be engaged to understand their course material fully is widely recognized. And yet-despite the evidence showing that 21st-century learners not only prefer active, student-centered learning but are also more successful at comprehending complex ideas or mastering difficult skills through this approach-the lecture with slides is still the norm.
Many instructors feel they must choose between driving academic performance and nurturing student engagement. But the truth is that you can do both.
This online seminar, Wake Them Up! Engaging Students in the 21st Century Classroom,explores the basic research behind student-centered, active learning and how active learning increases classroom engagement as well as student success and retention.
For years, educators have been keenly aware of the all-too-present achievement gaps affecting students in today’s educational landscape. But they frequently overlook one underlying cause: the engagement gap.
Addressing engagement in the classroom will not only improve individual student achievement and success but also lead to a more dynamic and rewarding experience for the instructor. Participants will better understand
- How engagement is the key to learning, success, and retention
- How to navigate the research behind student-centered, active learning
- How to identify teaching options and techniques beyond the PowerPoint lecture
- How to create engagement with and without the support of technology
- How to increase engagement without increasing your workload
You will learn strategies to help them achieve performance targets while also restoring student engagement through a variety of practical, actionable teaching techniques. After completing the seminar, you will be able to:
- Recognize current research dealing with engagement, learning, and retention
- Understand how engagement affects memory
- Pinpoint 10 different non technical ways to increase engagement
- Identify 10 different web/mobile tools to increase engagement
- Keep students awake in class, even at 8 am on a Monday
Here is an opportunity to explore current thinking on student engagement in the classroom from the international speaker on media literacy and classroom engagement and author of Master the Media: How Teaching Media Literacy Can Save Our Plugged-In World.
- The importance of engagement to student learning and success
- The research behind student-centered, active learning
- Technological tools to energize teaching and learning in the classroom
- Non technological techniques to help you transition beyond the lecture with slides
- Innovative and effective teaching methods to help you work smarter, not harder
This seminar is intended for those who are interested in closing the engagement gap while enhancing critical thinking skills, encouraging communication and discussion, and restoring focus and excitement in the classroom. This will include the following:
- Instructors keen to enhance engagement in the 21st-century classroom
- Instructional designers interested in exploring fresh teaching options and techniques
- Learning consultants looking to increase student engagement without increasing workload
This seminar is an opportunity for you to inspire higher-education students to meet and exceed expectations for learning and participation while they prepare for success in the business world.
Order today for a chance to transform the classroom experience and reconnect with your fervor for teaching and
Product Code: PC17GA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- More Information
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart