MAGNA 20-MINUTE MENTORS
How Can I Write Better Letters of Recommendation?
Learn to write letters of recommendation more effectively and efficiently, by inspiring the student to be more accountable in the process.
How Can I Write Better Letters of Recommendation?
Consider the last time you were asked to write a letter of recommendation. Chances are it was a last-minute email you received from a student requesting your assistance.
You felt pressured to assist because you wanted to help your student and you knew his or her future was on the line.
But what if it didn’t have to be this way?
What if you could write letters of recommendation more effectively and efficiently, by inspiring the student to be more accountable in the process? This 20-Minute Mentor How Can I Write Better Letters of Recommendation shares the four key steps to doing exactly that.
Letters of recommendation matter. Many times they are the deciding factor as to whether a student is accepted into a particular program or internship. But the responsibility for creating an effective letter of recommendation should not fall solely on your shoulders.
In this presentation, you will learn the following:
- How to inspire students to take responsibility for successful letters
- How to set appropriate priorities and deadlines with students
- How to fit recommendation letter writing into your busy schedule
- How to be open and honest when writing your letter
- How to say no to students who are not the right fit for your recommendation
In addition to a transcript and other supplemental reference materials, youll receive a sample draft of an effective letter of recommendation, which you can tailor and use as you wish the next time a student reaches out to you for endorsement.
This 20-Minute Mentor demonstrates how to take the experience of writing letters of recommendation from stressful to stress-free. After participating, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Identify appropriate timelines
- Determine exactly what details must be covered
- Involve students in the process so you best match specific classroom experiences to the new opportunity
- Create a meaningful and successful letter of recommendation without disrupting your regular workload
Professor Ken Alford of Brigham Young University offers a fresh and engaging approach to reducing the time commitment and stress faculty face when writing letters of recommendation.
Topics include the following:
- Why you shouldn’t ever feel obligated to write a letter of recommendation
- Actionable steps and guidelines to reference when writing your next letter of recommendation
- The importance of setting appropriate timelines with students
- The information needed to create a meaningful letter of recommendation
- Quick and easy ways to reference student success stories
If you are a faculty member looking to make an impact on your students future success, this program is for you. By writing more effective and efficient letters of recommendation, you’re making the experience less onerous for you while helping your students help themselves.
Save yourself hours of unnecessary work by participating in this 20-Minute Mentor program. Order today, and discover actionable tips and suggestions to writing an effective and efficient letter of recommendation.
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Group Subscription Options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
Monday Morning Mentor
- Add to cart
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
Magna Digital Library Group Subscription
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options