Online courses present unique challenges for both students and faculty.
Small teaching can be the answer to those problems. Small online teaching strategies are minor adjustments to class design and teaching, things that are feasible in terms of the minimum amount of time required and that create little to no grading burden.
In this Magna Online Seminar, we’ll explore these practical, evidence-based changes you can make in your online teaching practice, which result in significant gains in student engagement and learning. Whether you are new or experienced online faculty, you’ll gain brief learning activities, minor course design modifications, and simple changes to your communication with online students, based on the approach outlined in Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes by Flower Darby and James M. Lang. Even if you teach in blended and face-to-face formats, you’ll still gain strategies to make better use of your learning management system to enhance your efforts in the classroom. Together well discover how rewarding online teaching and learning can be!
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the research on effective student engagement and learning approaches
- Apply practical, minor techniques in your online teaching practice and communication with your students
- Rediscover new inspiration and motivation to engage students online
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- The challenges of online courses
- The importance of small teaching and how to incorporate it in your instruction
- Effective teaching approaches to improve online courses
- Eight evidence-based strategies that are not overwhelming to implement, yet have a significant impact on online student learning and engagement
Who should attend?
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional designers
- Faculty developers
- Department chairs
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC19WA