MAGNA ONLINE SEMINARS
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Designing Online Learning to Spark Intrinsic Motivation
This seminar helps you engage your students so they rediscover their natural curiosity and drive to learn. Learn how to incorporate specific instructional strategies that help students align their personal goals with your course content so they can see the value in learning what you teach.
External Strategies to Spur Internal Motivation
There is value in what you teach. Your course content is relevant to your discipline, to various programs, and to life.
So you don’t want your course to be a means to an end, simply a stepping stone to a certificate, degree, or job.
Yet sometimes your students lose sight of that ideal. They get so caught up in their grades, in their program requirements, or in their job objectives that they forget why they even chose their courses of study in the first place.
You can help them rekindle their curiosity and rediscover their love of learning by guiding them to reconnect with their own inner motivation.
Yes, assignments, tests, and grades can spur students to study in the short term. But there are other strategies that encourage students to learn course content because learning that content will make them better students, better employees, and better people.
When you help students reconnect with their own personal values and learning goals, you also help them achieve greater success—and you create a more productive and enjoyable learning environment in the process.
Of course, the question isn’t whether you want students who are intrinsically motivated. The challenge is figuring out how to inspire them to tap into that motivation.
That is exactly what Designing Online Learning to Spark Intrinsic Motivation is designed to do.
In this Magna Online Seminar learn how to incorporate specific instructional strategies that help students align their personal goals with your course content so that they see the value in learning what you are teaching.
Designing Online Learning to Spark Intrinsic Motivation helps you implement changes that generate intrinsic motivation among your students and transform your learning environment along the way.
More specifically, after this seminar you will know how to:
- Assess your students to determine why they are taking your course so that you can use their personal objectives in your motivational strategies
- Adopt a variety of motivational approaches in order to connect with students who have different objectives and who respond to different methods
- Design assignments that reinforce your motivational approaches
- Create assignments that help students relate to you as well as to their peers and their communities
- Incorporate some freedom into your courses and assignments so that students are able to tailor their learning to their own interests and learning goals
- Engage students so that they recognize their value to the learning community
- Help students link current course content to prior knowledge, world issues, and their personal goals and values, and give students an opportunity to share their insights and expertise
This seminar helps you engage your students so they rediscover their natural curiosity and drive to learn. It will provide an overview of various approaches to course and assignment design that you can use to increase student motivation in any content area.
More specifically, this seminar:
- Actively uses an approach that creates highly motivating learning environments for students
- Discovers several strategies for assignment design that generate higher levels of motivation in online and blended courses
- Recognizes why some kinds of learning are more motivating than others and use a walk-through checklist to evaluate your assignments according to a set of motivational factors
- Adopts learning strategies and apply them to any course in any content area
It doesn’t matter what you teach or where you teach. Motivation is as much a challenge in private four-year universities as it is at community colleges or in online programs.
Almost all students struggle with it from time to time, but all instructors can help increase motivation levels by using the right tools and strategies.
This seminar would be particularly useful for the following:
- Faculty at all levels in all disciplines in online or blended courses
- Course designers
- Curriculum development specialists
- Directors of learning innovation
- Deans of online learning
Order Designing Online Learning to Spark Intrinsic Motivation today!
Product Code: QC14CA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
Magna Digital Library Group Subscription
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
Monday Morning Mentor
- Add to cart