How to Facilitate Social Justice Exercises and Programs
More and more student affairs professionals today are being asked to facilitate training sessions on social justice-related issues due to growing interest in the areas of diversity and inclusion. This facilitation can be challenging, given the sensitive nature of the topic and how quickly this field is evolving. Our experienced trainers provide you with a broader understanding of how to create and facilitate successful workshops.
Social Justice in Education
Issues of diversity, inclusion, access and equity fall under the broad heading of social justice.
Whether it is promoting college access to first-generation and low-income students or balancing representation on the faculty, these concerns are part of a vibrant conversation at the forefront of higher education.
Due to growing interest in the topic, increasing numbers of student affairs professionals are being asked to facilitate training sessions on social justice-related issues.
This facilitation can be challenging, given the sensitive nature of the topic and how quickly this field is evolving.
The presenters provide novel and helpful suggestions on ways to deliver meaningful and current social justice training sessions in this 90-minute seminar. They use storytelling and experiential training to provide a broader understanding of how to create and facilitate successful workshops.
- How to create interactive learning opportunities
- FIVE essential components to social justice training
- A facilitation framework for social justice topics
- Ways to engage in authentic dialogue on this issue
- Why you must create an inclusive environment for all members
- Social justice facilitation Dos and Don’ts
- The importance of being authentic
- How to create a safe space for training
- Helpful activities centered around social justice
- Techniques for using a co-facilitator model
- How to understand the perspective of participants
Anyone who conducts or coordinates social justice training, including:
- Program Coordinators
- Multicultural Affairs
- Student Activities
- Assistant and Associate Directors in Student Affairs
- Training Coordinators in Housing and Residential Life
- Hall Directors
- Area Coordinators
- Residence Life Coordinators
Product Code: SC15NC
FEATURED MAGNA PRODUCTS
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.