Tools and Techniques for Improving Course Accessibility
$297.00 – $497.00
Research suggests that at-risk learners often benefit from reading—as well as listening to—lectures and presentations. The technology already exists. We show you various activities to help you understand the benefits and applications of transcription technology.
Improving Student Performance by Increasing Accessibility
Research suggests that at-risk learners often benefit from reading—as well as listening to—lectures and presentations.
The technology already exists.
There are a variety of options available and differing strategies for using the various tools.
Now if someone would just help you figure out which approach would be best for your courses and students.
That’s exactly what Keith Bain does in this Magna seminar, Tools and Techniques for Improving Course Accessibility.
Bain co-founded a research consortium that works to improve educational accessibility through speech-recognition-based captioning and transcription systems.
The head of the international Liberated Learning Consortium is also an adjunct professor in the Department of Finance, Management Science, and Information Systems at the Sobey School of Business.
In this engaging 75-minute seminar, Bain employs various activities to help you understand the benefits and applications of transcription technology. Among them are:
- A simulation exercise that allows participants to experience the challenges facing students with learning and hearing disabilities
- A transcription puzzle
- A treasure hunt challenge showcasing the value of accessible media
After viewing this seminar:
- You will recognize the unique accessibility challenges facing at-risk learners in both traditional and elearning environments
- Understand basic techniques for digitizing lectures and presentations
- Know how to determine if their campuses already have lecture-capture capability—and how to start using it
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of traditional and automated captioning and transcription services and tools
- You will be prepared to use freely available tools to generate captions and transcripts to publish accessible course materials
We provide you with invaluable how-to guides and training resources for recording, transcribing, and publishing accessible media. We include a matrix outlining the relative strengths and weaknesses of various captioning and transcription techniques and tools.
In this professional development presentation you learn not only how captioning and transcription can benefit diverse learners but also how to determine what technology to use and how to get started.
- Directors of educational technology
- Instructional developers and designers
- Professors and instructors
- Educational technologists
- Adaptive technologists
- ADA and Section 508 coordinators and advisors
- Disability resource professionals
Order this seminar today. Bain knows the challenges educators face in the classroom and on campus—he faces them, too.
He also understands the technology available to make teaching and learning more successful for all instructors and students-particularly those with accessibility issues or concerns.
His insight will help you determine whether captioning and transcription software can improve student learning in your courses, and his clear guidance and invaluable resources will get you started straight away.
This seminar includes closed captioning for the hearing impaired.
Product Code: PC12AA
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Campus Safety, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Specific Student Populations, Strategic Planning, Student Engagement, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- Magna Online Seminar Pass
- Add to cart