Magna On-Demand Seminars
Universal Design: Five Steps to Make Your Course Accessible
Accessibility is not just about disability. It is about increasing learning for all students. Ultimately, it is about student success. Most instructors can improve access to their curricula simply by examining their assumptions and making slight modifications to methods and practices. Learn how in this online seminar.
Accessibility is a big topic in higher education, but it doesn’t have to be a big deal.
Small changes to existing courses can eliminate barriers and provide all students with more equitable opportunities to learn and to demonstrate their learning.
The key is remembering that accessibility is not just about disability. Accessibility is about increasing learning for any and all students. It is about inclusion and equality. Ultimately, it is about student success.
All courses can be accessible, and most instructors can improve access to their curricula simply by examining their assumptions and making slight modifications to methods and practices. This will improve outcomes for everyone. And that is the rationale behind universal design, the methodology by which instructors systematically increase the accessibility of their teaching.
Adopting universal design principles is easier than you might think. It doesn’t take large investments of time or tedious research. A few simple guidelines can help you evaluate your courses and pedagogy to ensure that all your students have the opportunity to perform optimally.
You can learn these universal design guidelines and how to apply them to your courses by attending Universal Design: Five Steps to Make Your Course Accessible, a Magna Online Seminar.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Systematically evaluate courses to identify potential barriers to student learning or demonstration of learning
- Identify two or three assumptions that could be barriers to learning
- Determine what kind of learners might be challenged by those assumptions
- Recognize three or four simple changes to make teaching more accessible
- Understand how to implement those changes for immediate improvement
Why you don’t want to miss this!
Participants will learn how to improve the accessibility of their courses and, correspondingly, the success of their students. All attendees will learn that:
- Some assumptions about students and their learning can undermine the learning of all students, and especially students with disabilities
- Small changes can eliminate large barriers to learning
Who should attend?
- Instructional Technologists
- Instructional Designers
- Learning Center Professionals
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available on-demand.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC13JA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days after payment has been received by Magna.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- From: $1,297.00 for 1 year
- Select options
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Group Subscription, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart