Magna On-Demand Seminars
Recruiting a Racially Diverse, Culturally Competent Faculty
Faculty members possessing multicultural competence are best able to teach, advise, and mentor school populations with increased racial diversity. We deliver clear-cut strategies you can use to increase the racial diversity of final applicant pools as you approach the crucial task of hiring new faculty members.
Hiring and Retaining Diverse Staff
Retaining a racially diverse faculty starts with strategic and comprehensive recruiting efforts.
The composition of student bodies is changing significantly, as the numbers of students of color continue to grow on campus.
Faculty selection processes need to change, also, to better meet the needs of the current generation of college students.
To keep pace with changing times, higher education institutions must continue to focus on recruiting and retaining a more diverse and culturally competent faculty.
Faculty members possessing multicultural competence are best able to teach, advise, and mentor school populations with increased racial diversity.
This means that the faculty selection process at your school deserves a closer look in order to ensure that it will enable you to reach the goal of attracting faculty members committed to diversity, inclusion and social justice.
The presenters deliver clear-cut strategies your school can use to increase the racial diversity of final applicant pools as you approach the crucial task of hiring new faculty members.
This seminar is offered in partnership with the Social Justice Training Institute.
This 90-minute seminar covers critical aspects of the faculty search and hiring process:
- Selecting and training search committee chairs
- Improving the multicultural competence of search committee members
- Increasing the size of the pool of promising candidates through networking, mentoring, internship and fellowship programs
- Marketing and advertising considerations
- Deciding upon core competencies and abilities necessary for a position
- Writing the job description
- Developing helpful interview questions
- Evaluating candidate abilities with preferred competencies
- Contacting references
- Choosing the final candidate
- Making the job offer
- Creating a transition team to assist each new hire
This seminar is recommended for all campus representatives charged with recruiting and hiring new faculty members, including:
- Search Committee Members
- Academic Leaders: Directors, Deans, Department Heads
- Faculty Division Leaders
- Chief Diversity Officers
- Members of Diversity Committees and Task Forces
The success of students of color on your campus requires a renewed commitment to recruiting culturally competent faculty members to teach them. Learn how your institution can foster greater diversity and inclusion by enrolling in this important seminar today.
Product Code: OC11BA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- More Information
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart