What is on an National Center for Student Life training CD?
An NCSL training CD includes a recorded video and audio presentation that is approximately 30 minutes long. It is presented by an expert trainer on the specific topic you choose to purchase. There are also processing questions and extra activities included on the CD.
What do I need to view the training CD?
- The CD runs through an internet browser, however you do not need to be connected to the internet to view the CD contents.
- A web broser: Internet Explorer, Firefox , Google Chrome, on a Mac Safari.
- For PC, the latest Windows Media Player http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player.
- The latest Microsoft Silverlight plug-in, free to download from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx)
- Sound card with speakers.
- Projector if you will be viewing the program as a group.
|Operating System||Browser||Media Player|
|Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7||• Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later|
• Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later
• Google Chrome 1.0
|Windows Media Player 9 or later and Microsoft Silverlight 3.0 plug-in|
|Mac OSX 10.4.8 or later||• Safari 2.0.4 or later|
• Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later
|Microsoft Silverlight 3.0 plug-in (NOTE: The Silverlight plug-in is not compatible with PowerPC-based Macs. You will not be able to view a Magna Online Seminar using Mediasite on a PowerPC Mac.)|
How do I play the training CD?
After you have loaded the CD into your drive, the program should automatically start. If for any reason the program fails to launch, navigate to the drive the CD is located in, select the file start-presentation.html, and open the file by double clicking it. This will launch a Start page in your browser that contains a link to the presentation itself.
How do I advance the slides?
The slides are presented one at a time as the presenter goes through them. They will advance automatically whenever the presenter moves on to the next slide. You have the ability to skip ahead in the program, or go back to previously covered material, and the appropriate slides will be in sync with the video being shown. Copies of the slides are also included in the printable handouts that are offered with each training CD.
I am using a Mac, and I meet the requirements for playing the CD, but it still does not work. What else can I do?
It is likely that your computer has the Flip4Mac Windows Media component for QuickTime installed. This interferes with the Media Player plug-in that is required to play the training CDs. To disable the Flip4Mac plug-in:
- Click your desktop, and select Apple > System Preferences to open the Mac System Preferences.
- Under Other, click Flip4Mac WMV.
- On the Plug-in tab, clear the “Use Flip4Mac WMV Internet Plug-in” checkbox.
- Exit the dialog to save your changes.
- Try to play a presentation. You may have to re-launch your browser for the change to take effect.
Can I make copies of the training CD?
Copyright laws prohibit the creating and distribution of copies of CDs. This includes internal use. If you need additional copies of a specific title, or would like to purchase a Campus Access License which allows you to place the presentation on your intranet, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I place the training CD on reserve in our library or media center?
Yes, it would be within copyright guidelines to have the CD on reserve in your library. The CD can be routed or placed in a central location for others to use. Duplication is not permitted. As the purchaser of the CD, you may want to add a note to the jacket to make it known that others cannot duplicate it.
Do you have transcripts of the training CD presentations?
We do not offer transcripts for our training CDs.
Does NCSL offer a satisfaction guarantee for the training CDs?
If you are not completely satisfied with your training CD, you may return it for a full refund. All requests must be received within 30 days of your receiving the product.
Do you offer Continuing Education Credits for watching training CDs?
Due to varying requirements which vary from state to state, we do not offer continuing education credits for any of our products.