Special program for advisors!
If you are a student leadership advisor, plan to attend the Advisor Training Experience presented by Leadership Trainer. By participating in the Advisor Training Experience, advisors will receive a specially curated, comprehensive, and engaging train-the-trainer experience. Specifically, Leadership Trainer will lead a hands-on experience for student leader advisors that enhances their leadership training and facilitation skills—particularly with experiential learning and reflective dialogue.
Advisors will learn inclusive best-practices to ensure all participants can access the training message and material, internalize learning, and apply their learning to their practice. This is achieved through:
- Facilitating experiential learning activities
- Hosting reflective dialogue
- Coordinating training preparatory measures
- Engaging in identity exploration and development
- Navigating training obstacles
- Communicating effectively as a trainer
Student Leader Advisor Bonuses, Incentives, and More
NCSL student leader advisors will receive a dynamic and engaging leadership train-the-trainer experience as well as other bonuses, goodies, and incentives. Specifically, this includes:
- A specially curated training curriculum led by master trainers and expert facilitators.
- Hands-on learning opportunities to experiment with dynamic facilitation techniques.
- A digital copy of Leadership Trainer’s 330-page Training Manual. This includes overviews of dozens leadership theories and practices, an in-depth review of Leadership Trainer’s Narrative Approach (methodology and pedagogy), instructions on how to facilitate an extensive array of experiential learning activities, and space for reflections and notes—all packaged in a colorful, creative, engaging, and inspired format.
- A trifecta of digital resources including our:
- Training Preparation Checklist,
- 90 Ice-Breaker Questions for Meaning and Depth, and
- 18 Go-to Reflective Dialogue Questions pdfs.
- Access to Leadership Trainer’s private Facebook group and unlimited monthly Jam Sessions to further their leadership training and development.
- Intentional networking and relationship-building opportunities—at NCSL and beyond—with a community of passionate leadership educators.
Welcome, Community Building, and Program Overview
In our inaugural session, we’ll build community amongst the student leader advisors and provide an outline for these two days. This hour will be spent engaging in icebreakers, crafting community agreements, and reviewing the schedule for this experience.
Experiential Learning and Reflective Dialogue: Overview and Hands-on Practices
Experiential learning activities and reflective dialogue, when utilized in tandem, are what enables training experiences to be transformative. During this session block, student leader advisors will explore the core facets and nuances of experiential learning and reflective dialogue before having ample time to experiment—as both participants and facilitators—of them.
Were you certified at last year’s NCSL?
You’ll join our graduate program for even more in-depth training and a chance to practice your skills during NCSL.
Meet Your Leadership Trainer Presenters
Jonathan is the founder, executive director, and master trainer. He began his career as a university administrator by focusing on leadership development, community engagement, and reflection initiatives. He has co-founded two leadership training businesses in addition to Leadership Trainer. Over the last decade, Jonathan has facilitated over 300 leadership workshops, retreats, trainings, and conference presentations, including classes to thousands of participants across four continents. In addition to serving as executive director and master trainer with Leadership Trainer, Jonathan is a lecturer in the Professional Leadership Studies program and acting director of academic programs in the School of Professional Studies at the University of Rhode Island.
Jonathan has earned a PhD from Fielding Graduate University in Leadership with a focus in group mentoring. He coaches, consults, writes, teaches, and trains about leadership, mentoring, and training/facilitation.
Daymyen Tyler Layne, with over 20 years of experience in business and higher education, is the Founder and CEO of The Layne Group (TLG), consulting firm. TLG’s focus is on Organizational and Executive Leadership Development from a lens of emotional intelligence. Through a motto of “Changing Minds to Make Change”, The Layne Group seeks to use the social science and research behind human connection to make sure our work and our passion collide. Additionally, Daymyen serves as the director for multicultural education and training at Quinnipiac University.