A Good Start: Helping First-year Students Acclimate to College
$297.00 – $497.00
Many first-year students arrive at college unprepared. It’s not that they aren’t smart or motivated. Instead, they experience a gap between the academic culture in high school and the culture of the university. These students arrive on campus thinking they are ready when no one has told them the rules have changed. This online seminar gives you the tools and techniques to help new students thrive during their first semester and throughout the rest of their college career.
Help Your New Students Bridge the Gap from High School to College
We’ve all seen the shocked look on first-year students when they see their midterm results. Too often, that is the first time they realize that college academics are very different from high school academics.
Many first-year students arrive at college unprepared.
It’s not that they aren’t smart or motivated. Instead, they experience a gap between the academic culture in high school and the culture of the university.
These students arrive on campus thinking they are ready when no one has told them the rules have changed.
To make things worse, many college instructors are unaware of the experiences that shape these students expectations in three key areas:
- Testing: In some high schools, students may repeat failed tests, quizzes, and projects until they achieve the desired grade.
- Attendance: Some schools make excused absences easy to obtain, and expectations for makeup work may be just as loose.
- Grading: Grading on a relative scale sometimes means that a grade of 25% can be a passing grade.
With this background, it’s no wonder so many students stumble. The expectations, policies, and procedures in college are completely different. That’s why someone has to teach them how to be a college student.
A Good Start: Helping First-year Students Acclimate to College teaches the practical skills and strategies needed to help incoming students learn the expectations, policies, and practices of their new educational environment.
During the seminar your presenter first maps the changes in high school academic practices in the last 10-20 years. Then, she outlines easy-to-implement teaching practices that will give your students a greater chance to succeed. You’ll learn how to:
- Discover your students academic background and use that information to target your teaching
- Communicate your expectations in the manner most likely to encourage positive changes in your students
- Draft effective grading policies that eliminate confusion and promote clarity
- Build policy reminders and explanations into the curriculum to maintain standards throughout the semester
- Begin developing tools to help your students succeed in your class and beyond
This online seminar delivers both useful information and practical training to help you put your new skills into practice.
- Teachers, Professors, Instructors, and Teaching Assistants (especially those who teach underclassmen)
- Department Chairs
When you can help more of your students begin their college careers on a better footing, everyone benefits. Order a copy of this seminar today to help your students make the most of their college experience- this year and every year after.
Order A Good Start: Helping First-year Students Acclimate to College today.
Product Code: PC12IA
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Campus Safety, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Specific Student Populations, Strategic Planning, Student Engagement, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- Magna Online Seminar Pass
- Add to cart