Beyond the Discussion Board: How Can I Engage Online Students?
$99.00 – $199.00
Learn how to overcome common challenges of discussion boards. Examine other options for engagement in your learning management system (LMS) and engaging students outside of the online classroom.
Ramp up your discussion board for deeper student
Despite their universal use in online teaching, discussion boards have significant drawbacks for educators and students alike. They don’t engage students easily, and they can’t duplicate the dynamics of a face-to-face classroom discussion.
Some students find it hard to follow conversation threads. Instead of making meaningful comments, too many students merely resort to an acknowledgment of the discussion without fully embracing it or adding their own thoughts.
Educators are pioneering new ways to get more out of discussion boards by engaging students through learning management systems (LMS). Find out what’s working in Beyond the Discussion Board: How Can I Engage Online Students?
This video arms you with flexible blueprints for creating your own customized methods of drawing students into a discussion and eliciting thoughtful responses for a stimulating learning experience.
Taking real-world examples from an online classroom, the video reveals several innovative ways for educators to connect with students. In only 20 minutes, you can:
- Get examples that work with any LMS
- See how to apply these strategies to different courses, disciplines, and specialties
- Learn how to adapt existing models to fit your own classes
- Get rubrics, recommended resources, and additional tips for further review
- Sharpen your understanding of software tools to help them engage students
- Turn students into strategic, goal-directed learners
- See how to manage grading in collaborative student assignments
This presentation explores how to overcome common challenges of discussion boards. You see how to frame questions and topics that invite discussion, as well as an improved way to generate posts that make discussion boards livelier.
At the end of this video, you will be able to:
- Identify challenges of the traditional discussion board
- Assess features in an LMS for engagement potential
- Identify three options for student engagement that are appropriate for almost any class
“This was one of the best presentations regarding online learning and ways to engage students. Excellent ideas and and materials.” – Victor Kennerly PhD, LPC, Assistant Professor, Spring Arbor University
Uncovering practical, easy-to-implement ways for turning discussion boards into core teaching tools is just one part of Beyond the Discussion Board: How Can I Engage Online Students? This presentation will also explore other options for engagement in your learning management system (LMS) and engaging students outside of the online classroom.
Drawing from the Universal Design for Learning, the program reveals options other than discussion boards that ignite online participation. You get strategic ways for students to take greater initiative in dealing with the coursework and with their fellow students through group or individual activities.
The presenter shares examples from teaching her own students to demonstrate how these ideas can work in an actual online classroom.
The presentation also offers insights into:
- Collaborative document creation (in LMS)
- Group work (in LMS)
- Peer polling (in and outside LMS)
- Community interviews (outside LMS)
- Public instruction (outside LMS)
- Other engagement ideas (outside LMS)
The ideas presented in this video can improve the engagement and retention rate of students, appeal to adult learners, and even make grading more interesting for instructors.
Engage your online students-and discover exciting new options for carrying classroom discussions to a deeper level. Purchase your video today.
Product Code: QM15BA