Magna On-Demand Seminars
Energize Your Lectures to Help Students Meaningfully Engage with Your Subject
Gain insight into your possible teaching blind spots, learn the power of using concrete examples to help students grasp abstract concepts, explore the wide variety of example types that can be used in teaching, and learn the most effective pacing of examples in a course.
Most college teachers enter their classrooms with thousands of hours of experience in their chosen field and typically face students who have little to no experience with that field of study.
In this setting, teachers may take for granted all that they know and are able to do. In a sense, they expect students to get inside their head. This has been called expert blind spot—experts have a difficult time seeing or meeting the needs of relative novices which can be challenging in teaching.
This Magna Online Seminar discusses ways to overcome this expert blind spot by addressing how to harness the power of examples, case studies, visualizations, and stories to help students meaningfully engage with your subject. You’ll learn how to recognize practical ways you can put Blooms taxonomy to work in your teaching. Learn effective principles and practices regarding the packaging and delivery of course content in digestible, interesting, and motivating ways to both help students begin their own journey of discovery and ultimately accelerate student learning.
What are the learning goals?
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Identify various examples and illustrations
- Implement and sequence various example types in a course
- Recognize when to use examples to achieve the greatest effect
Here’s what we’ll cover!
- One way to take Blooms Taxonomy from theory to practice
- Types of examples to use to accelerate learning
- Effective sequencing of examples and illustrations in a course
- When to integrating examples in teaching
Who should attend?
This seminar will benefit:
- Associate Deans
- Department Chairs
- Faculty Developers
- Department of Teaching and Learning
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- On-demand access
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available.
Educational Development Resources for Your Entire Campus
Whether you are an educator or a leader at your educational institution or organization, Magna has resources for how you want to learn:
- Individual programs to fill specific learning needs
- Preselected programs that come to you on a regular schedule
- Deep dive courses for complete immersion to master skills in a specific topic area
- Program groups built around a specific topic area or discipline
- A complete professional development library covering educator’s needs in all topic areas
Want to learn more? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Product Code: PC19JA
Campus Access License
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License, registrants are granted a license to download the program contents to a password-protected network, server, or website for additional staff use. You will receive information on downloading the contents of the program within 3-5 business days.
Meet Your Presenter
Magna On-Demand Seminars
Group Subscription Options
- Campus Safety, Compliance, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Faculty Support, Institutional Assessment, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Leadership, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management, Strategic Planning, Student Support, Supporting Online Faculty, Title IX Clery and VAWA
- More Information
- Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Blended and Flipped Learning, Course Delivery and Instruction, Course Design and Preparation, Department and Program Evaluation and Assessment, Digital Library, Faculty, Faculty Support, Institutional Culture, Leadership, Legal Concerns, Monday Morning Mentor, Online Assessment, Grading, and Feedback, Online Course Delivery and Instruction, Online Course Design and Preparation, Online Program Evaluation and Assessment, Online Program Strategy, Personal and Professional Development for Academic Leaders, Specific Student Populations, Student Engagement, Supporting Online Faculty, Teaching Strategies
- Add to cart